” I don’t have any training in counseling; I just have a heart to help others through their cancer journey. I was scared to get started because I wasn’t sure how I would be able to help others. The training helped me realize that you don’t have to have special skills or a special gift. Cancer patients and their families and friends need a shoulder to cry on, a friend to encourage them, and a hand to hold. Cancer Companions training made me realize that I could be that friend; I could be a cancer companion.”
– Julie Cancer Companions Ministry Leader, Zion Lutheran, Belleville, IL
Let a certified Cancer Companion Regional Representative train your volunteers to be Cancer Companions who reach into the lives of cancer families and support them through their struggles. This full day training, created by licensed Christian counselor Karen Tripp MS LMFT, includes important content concerning the cancer experience as well as skill training which is vital for any peer counselor.
Cancer Companions are trained to…
- Lead a Cancer Companions support group for anyone in cancer treatment, post treatment or their loved ones. And/or
- Meet one-to-one with anyone in cancer treatment, post treatment or their loved ones.
Topics covered during this full day face-to-face training include:
- The Impact of Cancer
- Goal of Peer Counseling
- Creating a Safe Environment
- Peer Counseling Interaction Skills
- How to Facilitate a One-to-one Peer Counseling session
- How to Facilitate a Cancer Companions Christian Cancer Support group
Presented in locations throughout the country.
Click here to see dates and locations and to register.
Cancer Companions Training is $110.00 per person. The training may be repeated for only $25.00 per person. Each church is required to have a minimum of 3 people attend.
Click here to: