- What is Stress?
- Stress = energy
- Eustress- “Good Stress” motivating, stimulating
- Distress- “Bad Stress” stress interferes with healthy functioning.
- Burnout- When too much stress results in loss of motivation, interest, energy and engagement with work and family.
- What are the different types of stress?
- Environmental: Stress from the physical world around you
- Space for independent mobility: stairs, doorways, bathrooms at home and in public.
- Medical needs: Equipment and medications.
- Noise level, lighting, comfortable seating.
- Personal space: privacy for things and space for time alone.
- Organizational space: Work from home? Medical equipment storage? Medications organized?
- Technology needs: need for computers/phones to connect with others and as an information source.
SOLUTION: Change environment/conditions. Contact MS society with tips for getting needed resources.
- Personal: Stress that happens in your head. Your perception of the world.
- How you view your control of your environment.
- How you handle not knowing the future due to MS diagnosis.
- How you view yourself.
- How emotionally reactive you are to stressors.
SOLUTION: 1. Awareness of perceptions
- Social: Stress from relationships
- work associates
SOLUTION: Work-Clear expectations for Success
- Physiological: Stress originating from your body
- Broken bones
- prolong/chronic condition
SOLUTION: Good health care, adapt to needs and set realistic expectations.